Okay, so its been a while since I have been dealing with dandruff in my hair. I tried a few shampoos and it didn’t work. I was hoping herbal shampoos claiming complete removal of dandruff would work at least 10% if not 100%. But to my surprise, nothing worked. So I had to go the old school way of home remedy. Guess what? It really works. You will mostly find all the ingredients readily available at home, but if not, you will definitely find it at your nearest grocery store. They are very inexpensive.
Now, you might ask, where did I get the recipe for it? I researched a lot on the internet. Make google your friend, as they say. Of course, my mother is a gold mine of home remedies and I got a lot of ideas from her. So finally I got down to 2 recipes.
This worked perfectly on me. Dandruff’s were gone in the first treatment with this recipe. Make sure its a sunny day when you apply this on your hair, because on cold/cloudy days you might catch cold easily.
- 2-3 table spoon sour curd/yogurt (दही)
- 1 table spoon coconut oil (नारियल तेल)
- 1/2 table spoon borax (सुहागे की खील).
- Get borax crystals. I found it on Amazon. I saw it in walmart and target as well. So I would say it is readily available. It is usually found in the laundry section as it is used as a booster in laundry. In India you get it at any local grocery store.
- Slow heat borax crystals on a pan until it melts. Once it melts, switch off the heat and it will solidify. Crush this into a powder. Now add this in the mixture.
Mix all of this and apply it on your hair. Its better if you are in the sun after applying it. Leave it on for 30-45 mins. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo. You will definitely get rid of the dandruff. You can apply this once in a week for a couple of weeks.
I am still in the process of trying this recipe, so I am not 100% sure if it is going to work. But I have read a lot about fenugreek’s anti-bacterial property which helps in getting rid of dandruff.
- 2 table spoons of fenugreek seeds (मेथी दाना)
- Soak the seeds overnight. Grind the seeds with as little water as possible and make a paste.
- 1 table spoon of sour yougurt/curd (दही)
- To get the yogurd/curd sour, you can keep it outside the fridge for 1-2 days. I kept it in the sun for a couple of hours when I used it.
- 1 table spoon of coconut oil (नारियल तेल)
- 1 table spoon honey (शहद)
- 1/2 lemon (नीम्बू)
Mix all these ingredients. Apply once in a week for 3 weeks. Keep it for 30-45 mins. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Try it out. Hopefully this will give good results. At least there would be no side effects like it is when you use shampoos made out of harmful chemicals. Good luck!